The US Department of State has issued a travel advisory for those planning to visit Belize to exercise increased caution due to crime.
Violent crime – such as sexual assault, home invasions, armed robberies, and murder – are common even during daylight hours and in tourist areas. A significant portion of violent crime is gang-related.
eTN Chatroom: Discuss with readers from around the world:
Due to high crime, travelers are advised to exercise caution while traveling to the south side of Belize City.
Local police lack the resources and training to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents.
Most crimes remain unresolved and unprosecuted.
If you decide to travel to Belize:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid walking or driving at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebookand Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reportfor Belize.
- S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.