Heavy traffic has affected for hours a long stretch of the M23 between J9 and the M25 after two different road accidents took place within two hours earlier this morning. The first crash involved two cars on the M23 southbound between J9 (Gatwick Airport) and the M25 at approximately 6.52am, according to traffic news provider Inrix. Traffic chaos sparked as all vehicles were held from 7.30am for five minutes to allow officers to cone off the lane.  

One hour later, Highways England reported a 1.5-mile of congestion in the area, with one lane still closed and recovery work ongoing. 

And just minutes after officers reopened all lanes, another crash followed on the same stretch of the M23 at approximately 9am, sparking once again the closure of two lanes. 

This incident involved a car, a lorry and a minibus, according to Inrix. 

Highways England wrote on Twitter: “Two lanes closed on the #M23 southbound between J8 #M25 and J9 #Gatwick, due to a traffic collision (separate to the earlier incident). 

“Approx. 1 mile of congestion on approach.”   

One ambulance rushed to the scene at 9.02am and after an assessment didn’t take anyone to hospital, according to South East Ambulance Service. 

Traffic maps show at 9.24am there was congestion near the junction to Gatwick Airport.

One lane reopened at approximately 9.30am, with Highways England warning the traffic had further built up.  

They wrote on Twitter: “We have worked to get an additional lane back open on the #M23 southbound between J8 #M25 and J9 #Gatwick, our teams and @SurreyRoadCops on scene, one lane remains closed due to a traffic collision.

“Around 20 minutes additional travel time, 2 miles of congestion.”  

All lanes reopened at approximately 9.40am, with Highways England warning traffic delays would likely continue until later in the morning, with the road expected to clear between 11.30 and 11.45am. 

They wrote: “All lanes now open on the #M23 southbound between J8 #M25 and J9 #Gatwick, vehicles involved in traffic collision have been cleared by recovery teams, with @SurreyRoadCops.

“Around 15 minutes additional travel time remains, though this should clear.”